Autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) happens because of a neurobiological dysfunction. The symptoms of ASD start showing up when the child is about two to three years of age. The symptoms include, loss of social interaction and communication, repetitive and restricted behaviour, has an unusual tone for voice, failing to respond and many more.
A child who is suffering from ASD starts getting irritated a lot and throws a lot of tantrum. Most of the times, parents misjudge this behaviour as behavioural problems and hence not truly able to understand the child. Hence, as a parent, it is necessary to understand the child and what they are actually feeling. To know this a parent should understand about ASD. Hence, below are the Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Signs & Symptoms:
As mentioned earlier, the child who is suffering from ASD usually shows two main symptoms, one loss of social interactions and second repetitive behaviour.
Loss of Social Interaction:
- Making very less eye contact or no eye contact
- Is not able to listen to people. Thus, not able to concentrate on what others are speaking.
- Rarely is able to show the enjoyment they are experiencing while showing something they like.
- Unable to respond to or slow response when someone is calling them.
- Is not able to comprehend sentences while going back and forth.
- Continuously keeps on talking about the same thing, even when the other person has lost interest.
- Incompatible facial expressions, gestures or movements with what they are saying.
- There is a robotic tone or unusual tone when they are speaking.
- Is not able to understand other person’s view and is unable to predict or understand others actions.
- They tend to repeat certain behaviours or phrases over and over again.
- They have a very lasting interest in certain topics which include facts, numbers or details.
- Also, they focus on certain things too much. That is, overly focused on certain objects or things.
- They love their routines. A slight change in their routine upsets them.
- They are more or less sensitive to certain inputs compared to normal people. This may include, light, touch, temperature etc.
These signs may not be present in everyone suffering from ASD, but most of them do. Also, Autism is detected not only in children but also it can be diagnosed in an adult. Those who are suffering from Autism might also have sleep problems along with irritability.
But, a child suffering from autism among these challenges has strengths also.
- They are able to learn things in details and also remember that information for a very long time.
- They are very strong visual and auditory learners.
- Also, they show excellence in arts, maths, science or music.
The Scientists are still figuring out why this actually happens to a child. It may be because of genes or very low birth weight. But, it is still uncertain why exactly this happens. Hence, it is better not to ponder over that question, instead, a parent should help and support their child.
An early diagnosis is a preferred way. Hence, an early diagnosis will lead to an early treatment. Thus, if your child or someone you know is suffering from this, or you think they are suffering from ASD then please visit a child psychologist or a psychiatrist for help.